Thursday, November 6, 2008

Two “urban legends” regarding Waterworld……

Some online reviewers of the movie (2-Disc Extended Edition now for sale) have included the “fact” that the movie was “a flop” financially, stating that it lost money because it had a $175 million budget and only made $88 million in the U.S. It’s true that it only made $88 million in the US theaters but it made over $175 million overseas, according to http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=waterworld.htm

and that doesn’t include VHS and DVD rentals, VHS and DVD sales, and the movie showings on TV. (and on airplanes?) I haven’t discovered where to find that info yet except The Hollywood Reporter seems to have that info but I’d have to pay for a subscription just to see it.

Also, one article brought up the “fact” that Kevin’s ex-wife; Cindy “divorced him after catching him with a married hula dancer.” This isn’t true! It’s an urban legend that isn’t even necessary to bring up in talking about the new release of the extended version of Waterworld. I call them urban legends because they keep being added in to articles about Kevin and about Waterworld as if they are true and they aren’t true! The definition, according to Dictionary.com is: a modern story of obscure origin and with little or no supporting evidence that spreads spontaneously in varying forms…

Both “urban legends” were answered by Kevin recently in an interview by David Giammarco in the August 2008, Cigar Afficionado magazine. David Giammarco writes: Despite the erroneous mythology that's surrounded the film ever since, Waterworld was actually a box office hit, grossing well over $400 million worldwide. And those tabloid reports about family man Costner cheating on his then wife, Cindy Silva, during the Waterworld shoot were also incorrect. "The real story is that within three days of landing in Hawaii, my wife served me through her lawyer." Costner explains. "So I was effectively divorced for the four months I was over there shooting. And when I finally did have an interaction with somebody, it was five months after I had been effectively divorced from my wife. But the press have always made it seem like I was still married at the time. See, I didn't want to fall into a 'back-and-forth' with them, so I remained quiet about my divorce and didn't engage. And the press never really corrected the record."

According to a People Magazine article by Pam Lambert, dated November 7, 1994, and entitled “Trouble in Paradise” which can be found at the following link:

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20104315,00.html

Pam writes: “Such speculation was rife even before the reports of Costner's alleged dalliance with 35-year-old Michelle Amaral, a married mother of three who performs at the hotel. Amaral's husband, Albert, denies any affair took place, and the hula dancer shimmied around questions concerning the star before disconnecting her phone last Tuesday.” The husband said there was no affair! That should have been the end of it, don’t you think? Why was she being harassed to the point of having to disconnect the phone? The couple actually befriended Kevin and both spent time with him, together. Ah, but “an affair” makes for a “better” story even if it’s not true!



People are always spouting, “freedom of speech” and “people gave their lives for our freedom of speech”, like it’s in defense of them being able to say whatever they please! But I don’t think anyone gave their precious life so that lies could be told about someone or something! I know I wouldn’t give my life so people can lie about me or about others and profess those lies to be the truth!! I would give my life so that lies couldn’t be told. And I long for a day when that can be so, when lies can’t be told, if I could have my wish!

No comments: